Lee House (1888)
201 Booth Street
The Lee House is one of Johnson’s most ornamented houses. It has a steeply gabled roof with a flat roof over the porch. There is crudely cut jigsaw molding across the front of the porch under the eave. The porch railing is made of intricately carved wood. There are slender, square columns above the railing. The two front windows have elaborate ornamentation consisting of a diamond and floral carved wood panel. The entry door has two rectangular transoms over it.
This house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church (1895)
113 Panola Avenue
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is not on the National Register of Historic Places, but in 2013 it received an historic marker from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History recognizing its significance and verifying that it was built by Andrew Johnson.
The outside belies the beauty inside. The interior shows Johnson’s architectural range. The church is made of timber-frame construction with diagonal wood paneling. It includes rafters crossing in the ceiling with the chancel separated from the nave by a Gothic arch and an elevated floor with a split railing. A double, side-by-side window with a Gothic arch is at the back wall of the apse.
Three sets of triple windows are on each side of the building and are topped by Gothic arched stained glass windows.